Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Art of Living




So the confession is that after ranting so many times against what new the AOL (or any other spiritual) course can teach ME, I went for it! The reasons were quite compelling I would say, the prime being some sorrow and a lot of anger. I was looking for more control. Having noticed how breath is the first thing we lose control over when affected by emotions, I needed a method to get its reins back in my hand when I wanted. With two recommendations in mind, for AOL (from vik & chik), I went for a "weekend crash course"!

I have promised (as does everyone who does the course and maybe keeps their word due to the goodness that the time spent inspires) not to tell exact details of what happens in the course. But I can write about what I learnt. One thing is sure that the end state of the Sudarshan Kriya can only be achieved with time.

I agree with...


Meditation ... (is) entering a trance
because of the ridiculousness of repetition.
Wendy Wasserstein






This was my first concious try at meditation, but there surely was a need for coerced repetition of certain actions that leads the body to first revolt against this unusual boredom brought upon it. Following this sweaty fight however, like a tired wild horse, it relents and gives in to the relaxed state in which the breath is under your control. Now, to get the real benefits, you have to get the body addicted to this control and the way a regulated pattern can make the happenings around you affect you less.

Since October, I have tried it in office, at terminals, on a bus, a train and a plane too! But as usual, perseverance not being my virtue, I've discontinued the regular Kriya as prescribed. "All we ask is for you to breathe for half an hour every day", said the teacher at AOL... but who has the time to breathe? ;) However, I have not totally failed as I see a marked difference in my calmness and patience when I consciously attend to my breathing. I notice quite a few extra smiles on my lips and a certain extra confidence about the decisions taken with lungs full of regular breath. This is an addiction I'm glad to have & hope it does good to others around me.



No comments: